They say you get wiser as you get older. I hope it’s true. Here are 50 little bits I’ve learned about life and myself over the last 50 years.
1. I’ve learned I want to have my cake AND eat it too because just to have my cake and not eat it, well, that would be wrong.
2. I’ve learned a lot about myself by having a business that I might not have known about otherwise. Things like I really love to write, I love to interview people and hear their stories, I love to create jewelry that has meaning as well as beauty, and I love to help people have their own aha moments. I also found out it challenges both my strengths and insecurities and allows me to work on both.
3. I‘ve learned there are some things I’m good at and some things I should let other people do. Like bookkeeping. I can do it but I get grumpy. Hmmmm, I’ve learned that could be a sign.
4. I’ve learned I want to be perfect but if I set my expectations to that standard, I’ll only get frustrated trying to achieve the impossible.
5.I’ve learned that on one else expects me to be perfect or even close. They’ve seen me in action.
6. I’ve learned that a stranger can become a friend in a matter of minutes when you share a common interest or struggle.
7.I’ve learned that my measuring stick for success is changing and my definition of success continues to expand.
8. I’ve learned I can’t do it alone and that I never could.
9. I’ve learned we are all more connected than we ever thought possible.
10. I’ve learned that gray hair can be thought of as highlights.
11. I’ve learned that keeping inspired takes dedication and is an ongoing and worthwhile pursuit.
12. I’ve learned that anything worthwhile takes dedication…like a wonderful marriage (Thanks Greg!)
13. I’ve learned that the love of my family and friends are my greatest treasures and they make me feel rich beyond measure.
14. I’ve learned that I always have choices, even when I convince myself I don’t.
15. I’ve learned I don’t have control over things as much as I thought but I do have control over how I think about and react to them (I just don’t always exercise it).
16. I’ve learned I want to continue growing spiritually, emotionally, and I wouldn’t mind growing a couple inches taller too.
17. I’ve learned that being a Mom is a gift and a privilege.
18. I’ve learned you have to be really patient if you are married to me and luckily my husband is.
19. I’ve learned there will always be someone smarter, better looking, faster, or more fun, and just once I’d like it to be me.
20. I’ve learned how to buy stuff at Costco without needing to build our own warehouse.
21. I’ve learned that I prefer to blame someone else other than me but when I take responsibility for my own feelings and actions, I am more empowered.
22. I’ve learned the days are 50% shorter than they used to be. Some days 52%.
23. I’ve learned that I like stories about ordinary people doing extraordinary things because it gives me hope in myself and humanity.
24. I’ve learned that I spent way too much time worrying and not enough time doing.
25. I’ve learned that while I was worried about what people I don’t even know were thinking, I should have spent more time examining my own thoughts.
26. I’ve learned that even when I learn something that could make a wonderful difference in my life; I need to be reminded of it over and over.
27. I’ve leaned that when my thinking is distorted, it creates distorted actions.
28. I’ve learned that there is always more than one way to do things and that creativity has no bounds.
29. I’ve learned that it is well worth my time to figure out how to do more with less. Less effort, less time, and less money.
30. I’ve learned that the best things in life really are free.
31. I’ve learned all pants should have spandex.
32. I’ve learned the more love I give, the more my heart expands.
33. I’ve learned when you give a mild mannered girl a tennis racquet, you better not stand too close to the net.
34. I’ve learned I love being in the flow. When writing, making jewelry, painting, cooking, speaking, or anything just comes through me easily, it’s heaven sent.
35. I’ve learned that joy needs to be cultivated, cared for, and nurtured in order to grown.
36. I’ve learned that happiness is not about getting everything you want but being happy with what you have and that happiness is a state of mind.
37. I’ve learned that actions really do speak louder than words.
38. I’ve learned that words can both deflate someone’s spirit or inspire them to powerful action.
39. I’ve learned that it is our responsibility to help one another.
40. I’ve learned that having it all is possible, just not all at the same time.
41. I’ve learned we all need to feel needed and valued.
42. I’ve learned that it is not always easy to live with your values and priorities in mind but it’s more frustrating when you don’t.
43. I’ve learned that when you get off track, you don’t have to start over. You can pick up where you left off as many times as necessary.
44. I’ve learned that you don’t know how long you have here on earth, so you may want to get started now.
45. I’ve learned the more I laugh, the less I hurt.
46. I’ve learned the faster I stop whining and accept the unexpected, the easier it is.
47. I’ve learned that sometimes I work harder at not doing something than I would if I just did it.
48. I’ve learned my life plan is a lot like my process for making art. I start out with a general idea of what I’m going to create but it evolves and changes as I go. I learn things along the way that I didn’t have any idea about when I started. Sometimes it’s frustrating. Sometimes it’s exhilarating. Sometimes it flows and sometimes it starts and stops as I need time to figure out the next step.
49. I’ve learned how you do something is sometimes more important than what you do.
50. I’ve learned that I am a work in progress, along with my hopes and my dreams and that is what keeps things interesting!
Now, if I could just figure out how to record a DVD and watch a different channel at the same time, my life would be complete.
I’ve learned that I have a lot more to learn and if all goes well, I should have 51 things on the list next year.